As a small business owner and content marketer, one of your primary concerns is very likely brand monitoring: which tools you can use to ‘see’ what people are saying about you and what they will cost to share that information with a team member, business parter or co-worker.
Another may be maintaining a steady flow of relevant and compelling content, both original and curated, that will “wow” your community and keep them engaged and informed — all for a reasonable price. Sound about right?
The good news is that today content marketing tactics don’t need to cost you an arm and a leg and neither do monitoring services. Some of the largest names in social media as well as brands are mashing up services and tools, including free ones, alongside paid services.
As a marketer you may be using Paper.li already as an inbound marketing tactic to publish a digital newsletter and attract the right audience through curated content. However Paper.li is also an inexpensive and effective solution for monitoring and keeping an overview of who’s blogging and sharing content around your brand, service, market or industry.
Below are five examples of how marketing teams are using Paper.li to monitor. See where Paper.li fits in to your organization.
Tip: before getting started, brainstorm with your marketing and social media colleagues first to see how your organization can best leverage Paper.li internally. Use the examples below as references during your discussion.
Communications and PR
Nothing is more important to a PR team than being in the know. Create your PR and communications team a paper, or a suite of industry papers, to provide an overview of events and activities across the web.
- For a thought leadership paper, ask your PR team to create Twitter lists for industry experts, events, news sources and thought leaders. Add those to your content sources. Apply filters to these lists to fine-tune
- For an event paper, use #tags and keywords
- Share the URL with PR team members
- Curated content establishes through leadership. Once your papers are fine-tuned, promote them on Twitter and Linkedin
Brand and Product Managers
User input to product and services is key to keeping the edge. Curated content is a great way to provide product teams and brand managers a well-balanced perspective on what’s being said and felt by the user community.
Product managers can benefit by seeing how a new feature or product is being received and who their power users are.
Brand Managers can keep the pulse on who the brand experts, influencers and evangelists are.
- For brand managers, create a daily paper using brand keywords and hashtags, and include the competition
- For product managers, create a weekly paper using service or product keywords and hashtags and include the competition
- Edit your paper daily, promoting key content to the Headlines section. Transparency is key, so don’t delete negative feedback
- Embed a paper on internal wikis or product pages
Internal Sales Team
Arm your sales colleagues with a weekly round-up of product-related news and reviews that they can use as a quick reference as an industry overview
- Curate a weekly paper including industry, market, product, event or conference-related keywords and #tags. Include your @usertimeline and set a filter for specific keywords
- Set up a list on Twitter with your competitors @handles. Add that list to your paper and filter for specific keywords
- Invite your team to subscribe to your paper
- Embed the paper on internal wikis or a webpage
B2B Sales Team
Go one step further and provide your B2B sales team a tool that they can use as a point of reference for partners and prospective clients.
- Curate a weekly paper including industry, market, product, event or conference-related keywords
- Add your own @username. If you use a specific keyword in tweets to indicate product posts or press releases, set a filter for those terms so that those specific tweets are picked up
- Add your division or departments product blog RSS
- Invite your partners or customers to subscribe to your paper
- Embed your paper on your division’s website or product blog, promote it automatically via Twitter
Tip: Upgrade to Paper.li Pro and customize your ad units; promote an upcoming event or webinar, direct traffic to a product page or website, display a product video.
50% of requests that come into help desks are information requests. Curate original and community generated how-tos and tutorials to be shared with your user community. It will also help educate your support team about your products, customers and the industry or market in which you operate.
- Create a weekly paper and set it to publish Monday mornings.
- Create Twitter, Youtube and FB content streams with #tags for your brand or company
- Use the Publish-it bookmarket to populate your in-house content created to share with your community.
- Embed your paper on your helpdesk, website or blog. Promote it daily via Twitter, share it with your community on blogs or forums
Tip: Upgrade to Paper.li Pro and upload customized banners and advertising to drive traffic back to your company site or product pages.
Drop me a line with your paper url and let me know how you are using Paper.li as content marketing tactic or monitoring tool.
Try pairing Paper.li with another free service like SocialMention or a low cost service such as SproutSocial to gauge user or community sentiment. I use all three at Paper.li and find they work like a charm.