archives-300x1061
Dear Paper.li Publishers and Readers,
A platform upgrade will begin on Friday, May 18.  The Paper.li service will be in read-only mode for a period of 24 hours and during this time there will be no new paper creations or manual editing. After that time, we’ll be back to business as usual.

Paper.li has grown to become a real publishing powerhouse: 80 million articles published everyday in our user’s papers. Such volume requires both a robust processing pipeline for fetching articles from everywhere on the web and semantically analyzing them in 7 languages as well as an inherently scalable storage engine.

Back in March we implemented the first phase of a two-phase platform upgrade in order to keep up with our growing publisher’s needs and scale for the future. For the technically curious and pending a more detailed walk-through of the technical stack that support our presses, we thought we would share a few details about what has been happening in the machine room.

• We transitioned to a new distributed storage engine called Cassandra and a new distributed message broker called Kafka.
  • We significantly changed the way data is gathered, stored and organised to be able to move to the next level of service to deliver even better content to your editions.
  • For those of you who are into numbers, we can now process over 10’000 articles per second — we believe we can see future growth coming with a certain degree of optimism!
New features
Along with a data transfer we’ll also be rolling out a couple of nifty new features, namely a completely revised & simplified paper creation mechanism, and the access to full fledged archived editions!
New Paper Creation
  • simplified paper creation
  • improved content search across networks keywords, queries and RSS
  • auto-populated content for viewing before publishing

Improved archiving

• complete editions of papers available
  • access to video and images
  • Ability to share older editions via Twitter
These are the just the first of numerous new features and functionality to roll out in the coming months. We look forward to your feedback and wish you good continued good publishing!

46 Responses to “Paper.li Platform Enhancement”

1. Brian Curnow

Excellent

Can I suggest sending out an email Newsletter to your current Membership to publicise what you are doing?

Not everyone logs in online daily, but they do get to see their emails more regularly I’d suggest.

Brian Curnow

2. Jack Willis

Wow. What numbers. As a novice here I can’t imagine the number of articles identified and ported to our papers. 10,000 articles a minute. boggles the mind.

3. Kelly at Paper.li

Hi Brian, you’re right and we will try to get the email communication down to an art. We’re a bit ahead of schedule this time and wanted to roll out sooner, rather than later :)

4. Kelly at Paper.li

Ricardo – de nada!

Teobaldo, it’s our pleasure and delight! We’re happy to have you in the community.

Jack, indeed the numbers are staggering and exciting. Our team has developed some cool technology that makes it all seem quite simple. Kudos to the Paper.li engineers!

Thanks to you all for publishing with us. We’re having a lot of fun.

5. bagaar

¡Thanks! It’s beatifull and excelent service..Excelente medio de comunicación ..Muchas Gracias..armando barrera.

6. Lena Miranda

Hi Kelly, Glad you are updating somethings. Hopefully I will have my Live Twitter stream back. I will be talking to you. about some of my papers. Thank you to all, Great weekend. Obrigada! Merci! Lena

7. Ram Ramdas

great work! i was searching for a help button to post a request for a new feature: view and edit before publish. Glad its coming soon :-)

8. JMC from ABQ

I have a strong personal rule: never ever complain about a service that does so many things well, and besides: its free! Let me give thanks for the return of the archive access — it has been sorely missed! And I welcome the ability to do my editing work before publishing! For my little area those are huge advantages. I certainly would have been glad for email notice about today’s upgrade, but given all the good things coming, no complaints!

9. flowski

I really like having my own daily alternative news paper, and I’m looking forward to the upgrades, they are going to be very helpful. It should be better than ever, thanks for all the hard work.

10. fg

It would be wonderful to be able to access archives again. Some days I can’t log in and by the next day, the articles in the paper I follow most are inaccessible. I hope the capability to access archived issues comes back soon

11. giancarloruffa

Gracias por todas las nuevas aplicaciones. Sera muy útil la posibilidad de examinar el periódico antes de su publicacion y recuperar en Twiter ediciones anteriores.Muchas gracias y felicitaciones.

12. Naina

I am really grateful for the publishing tool. I would like to contribute my suggestions. In most of the papers the need is for gold price, stock market update and breaking news tab. Local whether and time update API facility must also be very helpful.

An exclusive tutorial series from small river would make it bang on easy to pick up.

I would love to be a part of your team. I really appreciate the articles and regularly feature it in my paper. Keep up the good work.

13. cjcafiero@gmail.com

Glad to hear the upgrades and access to full fledged archived editions! Your paper is worthless without this feature and i’ve had to stop publishing since March. I agree with other post, would have been nice to send out an email blast to LOYAL registered publishers of your paper to keep us updated. We had no idea what you were up :-(

14. techbusinessnotes

Welcome Kafka & Cassandra!!

Can’t wait to start using the new version…. “improved content search across networks keywords, queries and RSS, auto-populated content for viewing before publishing..” That’s mind blowing!!!

Congratulations again!!

15. Jose F. Callo Romero

Gracias, muchas gracias por la informacion, estaremos a la espera. Yo he creado con mi cuenta de google, mi pèriodico de ciencitec y tengo problemas para ingresar esde el dia de ayer.¿Podre hacerlo mañana?.
    Gracias exitos y estamos para apoyar.
    Atte.
    Jose F. Callo Romero
    CEO ciencitec

16. elaine ossipov

Gosh, that was a long dinner break I took!!

This sounds incredible, both the job you have done and in looking towards to future. 10K articles PER SECOND. Incredible. Absolutely Incredible.

I would like to know if in the future you see these items happening.
    1. Choice of templates used..
    2. Statistics on our Contributors ( i.e. who has appeared in our published paper X number of times under which category.)
    4. Subscriber information.

And then of course integration with the big three, google Plus, google plus business, Facebook, those are the biggies for me.

I LOVE these news papers, they are perfect for well, everyone or your base wouldn’t be so huge, Honestly, I’ve been wondering if you are going to start charging a little, and I could certainly understand if you do. And wouldn’t even mind paying a little if I could customize them and have access the the subscriber/viewer base. :)

YOU FOLKS ARE AWESOME!!
    KEEP UP THE INCREDIBLE JOB
    ~elaine.

17. PalSimon

Thanks so much for giving us all…..would-be talking heads, retired journalists, silent majority…..a voice. Hugs from Pal Simon

18. humphrey

Goedemorgen tweeps! Het RT-team en de The Humphrey Daily wensen jullie allemaal een te gek weekend! Brekend!

19. SheAh Talks

Having my own daily paper is one of the most amazing things I’ve experienced. Its fun, its motivating, its fulfilling, and I love the fact that other people can also benefit from my paper by getting exposure for their businesses. Thank you to the team of paper.li who keep this going. I appreciate all of you and I am looking forward to the upgrades!

20. Kelly at Paper.li

Thanks so much for the kind words. We really appreciate it and are thrilled to hear that you all are enjoying the service.

We’ll work on improving the communication and thank you for your patience :) Have a great weekend!

21. Savvy Marketing Solutions

You are providing such an incredible and clock full of news and information service. I absolutely love it and I can’t thank you enough. I do have a quick question…I didn’t see my paper published for quite some time now…and I somehow have not been able to log in either to check or update the settings…Can you please advise how to do this? Thanks so much for this. twitter.com@aletmclardy..or aleta@savvymarketingsolutions.com

22. Dave

Hi, I still don’t see any way to manually curate posts when I’m logged in – can you confirm if the upgrade is finished, or is this still in process? Thanks!

23. Kelly at Paper.li

Hi Dave,

Try clearing your cache and cookies and restarting your browser. If that doesn’t do it for you drop the team a line at support@paper.li with your URL and browser + version and they’ll help you out.

Let us know how it goes!

24. Arthur Sherin

I am really confused as to add new content like an rss feed. Before the update you just added your feed and that was it. Now there is no place to add anything but tweets.

25. lilataylor

Hi, I was so excited to discover paper.li! It will save me a lot of work, if I could start it! I cleard up temp files and cookies, but still nothing… Here are the issues:

Clicking on “Start your paper” yellow button on the banner, or the “+Start your paper” on the menu, does nothing . When hovering over these a “javascript:;” is showing on the bottom of the screen.

When I tried to use “paper settings” drop-down menu under my account, I get the “sorry, we could not complete your request”….

When I tried to start a ticket by clicking on the “please submit a ticket” link, I’m getting “The page you were looking for doesn’t exist.”

Are you working on something and if so, when can I try again?
    Thanks,
    TPOLbiz

26. modernmoney

I think I have used a different name every time I have commented here, sorry about that.

All in all, love the product, best producer of this type of material out there, disappointed some competitors win in nextweb (etc.) contests as their material requires more work and are not as efficient as paper.li

Anyhow dropping by to say I preferred it when the articles were paginated so I could skip to the last page and work out how many articles I had.

27. Liz Dorland aka Chimera Cosmos

I’ve had my main paper.li since almost the beginning, I think. All along, the archives were a key feature for me as a way of looking back at snapshots in time.

I see that archives are still only available back to May 19, but I saw in help that it is your intent to resume complete access.

Any estimate on when archives back to the beginning of paper editions will be available, at least to owners?

Thanks much,

Liz D.

P.S. I use the original method (twitter sign-in) for my papers.